Jokers of the World, Unite!
A Jokers' International Day of Action
on Global Warming on Boal's birthday!
Please distribute this to Jokers* who you know, far and wide.
Hello from Headlines Theatre, in Vancouver, Canada. We would like to invite you to join us in an exciting, global initiative: a Jokers' International Day of Action on Global Warming.
This idea was brought to us by Adam Ward, a Joker from Fairhaven, Washington, in the USA, after he attended some of our global warming events in November called: 2º of Fear and Desire. These events were "an intimate evening of theatre (without a play) that investigate our fears, desires and challenges to change our behaviours that hurt the planet".
What would happen if Jokers from around the world all created local events on climate issues on the same day? What kind of energy could be created on this issue to, even in a small way, move responses to global warming forward?
We have chosen March 16, 2008, Augusto Boal's birthday, as a Jokers' International Day of Action on Global Warming. Why do this on Boal's birthday? To celebrate his remarkable work in a most appropriate way – by focusing into this ultimately important issue that must unite us, all over the world.
(News Flash! Boal has also just been nominated for a Nobel Prize! If you want to support the nomination, go to The International Theatre of the Oppressed website)
Obviously, the kind of event that would be relevant in Vancouver would be different than an event in Calcutta or in Rotterdam, in Beijing or in Rio de Janeiro, in Istanbul or in Fairhaven. We think this is part of the beauty and power of the idea. We have no desire (or ability) to control the event you create.
Here is what we at Headlines can offer:
- A simple logo that everyone will be welcome to use. You are also, of course, free to create and use your own material.
- We will gather basic information from everyone: (Who are you? Where are you? Name of your event? Location of the event? A TWO SENTENCE description of your event. A contact email for you.)
- We will build an online resource of all of these events on our website
- We will publicize the Jokers' Global Day of Action on Global Warming throughout our national and international networks and, as much as we can, to the national and international media.
- After March 16, we will gather short reports from you about how your event went, and include the reports on the online resource.
What we will ask of you:
- To create an event on March 16, in your community. Maybe it is Image Theatre, Forum Theatre, Rainbow of Desire, Cops in the Head, Legislative Theatre, or...???
- To let us know what you are doing: (Who are you? Where are you? Name of your event? Location of the event? A TWO SENTENCE description of your event. A contact email for you.)
- To publicize your own event and the Jokers' International Day of Action on Global Warming in any way that is possible and appropriate for you to do.
- To report back to us about how your event went, so we can share that information with the international community.
- To agree to allow your information to be published on Headlines' web site, and to agree to be contacted by people who may be interested in you or your event through an email link to you on our web site.
- You are welcome to create your own online presence – we will link ours to yours and request that you do the same.
Doing this does not have to cost a lot of money.
For example, 2º of Fear and Desire was a series of small public events (using Rainbow of Desire and Cops in the Head) at the Rhizome Cafe in Vancouver (maximum seating, 70). The people who run the cafe were very enthusiastic about the event and offered the space for free. We asked the audience for donations at the door and gave the Rhizome Cafe 20% of the donations.
These events were very simply done, but had a profound, direct effect on people that will ripple out beyond those who attended. Your event could be as simple or as complex as you desire.
We hope you want to participate in the Jokers' International Day of Action on Global Warming.
Please contact us with your plans or if you have questions or comments. Adeline Huynh at Headlines will be coordinating communication at this special email address:
We look forward to this international collaboration with you.
Headlines Theatre: Dafne Blanco, Jen Cressey, Jackie Crossland, David Diamond and Adeline Huynh